Ranking the Harry Potter Books


Yes, I'm actually going to try rank the Harry Potter books. I reread the entire series to keep the action and my thoughts fresh in my brain and now, after crying like crazy over many of my favorite characters' deaths, I'm going to suck it up like a big girl and rank these amazing books from worst to best. It pains me to do this, but the evil side of me thought it would be fun. (Mind, the worst book is still a good book. I'm not saying any of these books are actually bad. They're all awesome reads and they're all worthy of a hundred rereadings.)

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

7. The Goblet of Fire

My ranking: 7/10

To be honest, this book was much too fat for its own good. The Quidditch World Cup was way too drawn out and it took absolutely forever to get Harry back into Hogwarts, my favorite place on planet Earth. Other than this, The Goblet of Fire is almost perfect. There was a lot of action, a lot of uncertainty, a lot of anxiety... I just wish The Goblet of Fire was cut down a teensy bit. I mean, with the Twi-Wizard Tournament and the rebirth of Voldemort (I am a fearless bastard who uses the Dark Lord's name), this book could have been placed much higher up in my list. But that too long Quidditch World Cup really turns me off. I almost always skip the first few chapters of this book for that very reason.

6. The Chamber of Secrets

My ranking: 7.3/10

I don't exactly get why I don't like this book as much as I love most of the others. I sincerely love the part when the whole school finds out Harry's a Parselmouth and it's nailbitingly awesome when Harry and Ron go down the Chamber of Secrets, but something about the way the book is written just doesn't fit well with me. I feel uncomfortable reading it. However, thanks to Rowling's awesome action and plot, this book is still one of my favorites ever. Not to mention, The Chamber of Secrets is the first Harry Potter book I ever read!

5. The Order of the Phoenix

My ranking: 7.8/10

Harry gets a teensy bit annoying in this book, but then again, he's becoming a little like Voldemort so who can blame him? Anyway, what's a good series without some teenage angst? It's a bit infuriating that Dumbledore ignores him so much, and it literally makes me cry when Sirius dies, but it's still a good book. Everything comes together at the end. And Dumbledore finally explains to Harry about the prophecy! Oh, and Harry's literally hero-worshipped his father up till this point, but then he learns about his father's bullying habits back in his Hogwarts days. Who knew I could ever feel so sorry for Snape?

4. The Philosopher's Stone

My ranking: 8/10

This is the perfect introduction to the wizarding world. I absolutely adore this book. Harry goes to Hogwarts for the first time, makes friends, gets into trouble, smuggles a dragon... This book is amazing. I doubt anybody could think of a better beginning to a wonderful series than Rowling did. Oh, and to think 11 year old Harry met Voldemort for a second time and beat him again! Kids aren't so useless as some adults think, eh?

3. The Prisoner of Azkaban

My ranking: 8.4/10

I love this book. I think it's mostly because the antagonist is not Voldemort for the first and last time. It's a madman killer named Sirius Black, who also turns out to be Harry's godfather. This is the book where matters and the characters become a little older. Harry also has to deal with the fact that his godfather, his father's best friend, killed his parents! Harry's determination to kill Sirius really caught me in the heart. I've never rooted for a character so hard. But then! PLOT TWIST! It turns out Ron's rat, Scabbers, is the actual traitor! What? This book is perfection.

2. The Half Blood Prince

My ranking: 9.2/10

Learning about Voldemort's past was one of my favorite parts in the entire series. It's interesting to remind myself that Voldemort was once a child and a teen like me. To think that as an eighteen year old right now, instead of trying to make myself immortal, I'm sitting in front of a computer writing a blog post! And to learn about Voldemort's Horcruxes is just awesome. Also, I find it hilarious when Harry's suddenly so good at Potions. Rowling's romance writing is pretty horrible, but whatever. I mean, everybody has weaknesses, right? But it is cool that Ginny and Harry get together in the end. When I read that part where Dumbledore dies... I want to kill this book over and over again. It did make sense that Harry has to make the rest of the journey of killing Voldemort alone, though... I guess.

1. The Deathly Hallows

My ranking: 9.8/10

Harry's alone now. No one can help him. I mean, he does have Ron and Hermione, but there's no one to guide them anymore. They're all alone looking for Horcruxes, trying to end Lord Voldemort who's been killing thousands of people. This book really capitalizes on how difficult it is to kill Voldemort who tried so hard to escape death. The war itself is really action-packed and fun to read as well. The Deathly Hallows has more action than all of the other books combined. I would have given this book a 10/10 rating, but I really don't like it that so many people die. Of course, it's war, so it is inevitable, but it still doesn't mean I forgive Rowling for killing Hedwig, Dobby, Fred, Lupin... and Snape. Snape. Finally, the truth. We all learn about Snape's great love for Harry's mother, Lily. And, of course, we all cried like crazy when we first read about it. Snape and Lily's love story... Sigh. I love reading that part the most. Something about it really touches me. I take that part back about Rowling being a horrible romance writer. Also, well, another reason this book is the best of the series: Voldemort's finished. Ooh, and another reason: Harry gets his happy ever after! Yay! After seven, no, sixteen years of fighting one man, the enemy's finally gone and Harry's happy with a family and love and ugh. The ending is gorgeous. A little vague. But gorgeous.

So this is my ranking of the Harry Potter books. How would you rank them?


-Barista Mia-

Image: Barista Mia

0 comments: