Fictional Characters to Take to a Desert island


“What person real or fictional would you take to a desert island?” 
asked my younger sister the other day. At this point all my book-worminess burst out to the surface and I spent the rest of the day weighing out the pros and cons of which literary character could get me off the island fastest and kept on muttering on about other bookey stuff like how brilliant it would be if they made the Chrestomanci series into movies (it would be very brilliant in fact). I gave the matter enough thought to compile a list of the best fictional characters to bring to a desert island

1)
Name: Will Parry
First book to appear in: The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman
Will is one of the fictional characters who would get you off a desert island quickly, providing he has his knife with him. I always wanted to own the subtle knife and use it to travel to different worlds. If he, on the other hand, did not have the knife with him, I can imagine lying with him on a desert island beach watching the world go by. He went through so much for a twelve year old boy: he had to look after his mother and he worried about where his father disappeared to and then once the men came into his house everything just got worse. He deserves the weight being lifted from his chest.

2)
Name: Chrestomanci   
First book to appear in: Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones
The man of my mutterings himself has to make an appearance in this list. As the most powerful enchanter in all the different worlds, he'd certainly get you out in a jiffy and he's certainly not a boring person either!

3)
Name: Hermione Granger
First book to appear in: Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone by J.K Rowling
I always wanted Hermione to be my friend growing up. Like me, she was smart and she read a lot but she's also courageous and is a witch (although I'm still hoping my Hogwarts letter's delayed). Also, in the Deathly Hallows, she could cook meals for Harry, Ron and herself out of what she could find, so starvation seems less likely. Not to mention the fact that she can disapparate off the island and could take me home with side long apparition.

4)
Name: Leo Valdez
First book to appear in: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
I could make a whole list of characters from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the Heroes of Olympus to take to a desert island but I've limited myself to one. Leo would not be the person who'd get you out fastest, but everything about his character is amazing and he is one of those fictional characters that you feel upset about when you remember that they're not real.

HOUSE OF HADES SPOILER ALERT!!

I finally read House of Hades! Now the thing that is creepy now is that Leo got stuck in Ogygia. Apart from being the sweetest, most heartwarming part of the book Ogygia is a desert island. I never found any spoilers (at least for that part of the book) but I am finding this seriously creepy. I must be psychic or something!


-Barista Ellen-

Image: Brian Johnson & Dane Kantner

0 comments: