On Titanic and New Year's Resolutions


I tend to get into movies. Like really, really get into them. So it's no surprise, to myself at least, that when I finally watched Titanic this Christmas, it made an impact (yes, I know I'm late 'getting on the boat', 'that ship has sailed', etc. ;) ). Although Rose Dewitt Bukater and Jack Dawson are fictional characters, the Titanic was real, and besides that, who wasn't at least a little bit touched by Jack and Rose's romance, fictional they may be? I could go on and on about how much I loved it, or how great the soundtrack is, or even add my two cents to the whole 'could Rose and Jack both have fit on the door?' debate, but I won't. What I will do is say some things that Titanic has taught me, personally.

"You learn to take life as it comes to you...to make each day count."

Besides the emotional foreshadowing, this line is excellent in its meaning. Jack is explaining to all the rich, emotionless people around them who waste days on small talk and parties that life can be so much more. And you don't know how much life you have left at any one time. I know most of you reading this are young. You probably haven't thought about this much. But life is short, really short when you think about it. That's not to scare you. That's to spur you on to not procrastinate, not waste time leaving your dreams unfulfilled. It's almost new years- what if your resolution this year was to do whatever it is you've been waiting for your whole life? I'm not suggesting you be rash, or run away with the first cute boy named Jack (lol), but I am encouraging you not to wait on things that you shouldn't, that you're only waiting on because you're afraid of failure. So go, try out for that play, or talk to the new girl at school. It doesn't have to be life-changing for anyone but you. Go make your own luck. ;)

"Promise me...that you won't give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless...and never let go of that promise."

This is an extension of the above, and one of the most heart-rending and iconic scenes of the film. It might seem that it doesn't apply to most people or most circumstances- wasn't Jack dying, and Rose in danger of dying, when he said this? But it doesn't just apply to that. It applies to your dreams as well. I recently have had a friend who is into films, who has thought of giving up. I myself have often felt like giving up, especially if I don't know what comes next in my novel or I can't see my acting dream coming true anytime soon. But if you just give up, the chance of your dreams ever coming true at all is very slim. So you can't give up. And when you want to, you have to tell yourself 'I'll never let go'.

"Rose, you're no picnic, alright? You're a spoiled little brat, even, but under that, you're the most amazingly, astounding, wonderful girl, woman that I've ever known..."

Have you ever thought about who you are, really thought about it? I personally sometimes have a hard time telling who I am. I'm twenty, and a lot of you are younger, and this is the time in our lives when we often do some serious thinking about who we are, what we're about, and how we fit into the world. I believe that, like Rose, everyone has things about themselves that need 'fixing', and other things that need to be let shine through their whole being. Nobody's perfect. Sometimes we might realize we're shunning friends, or being grumpy with our family, or maybe we're spoiled brats, too. I know I've fit that phrase more than once. But then there's that part of you that's the wonderful, amazing woman (or man) and that should never, ever change. That should be what shines out about you. Let other people see who you are, really are, and if there's something not good about you that you know needs changed, then do it so that others can see who you really are, and not get stuck on that. Not everyone is as good at 'seeing people' as Jack Dawson, but thank goodness for those who are (I have a friend or two like that myself). And try to be that way to others; see past human imperfections and into who the person really is. You might like the new view.

It's almost the new year. This time, instead of making the clichéd new year's resolution that you won't keep, why not make one and stick to it? Something that'll make a real difference and help you to make your life more what you want it to be? Because it's not up to me to save you. "...only you can do that." Not that I'm saying you need saving, but you know what I mean.


-Barista Nicole-

Image: still from Titanic (1997)

0 comments: