Handling College Rejection Letters


It's devastating to open up a letter with hope swelling up your chest only to find a rejection letter waiting for you on the other side of the screen from your dream school. Yikes. I got my early decision rejection a couple days ago and, thankfully, I was not devastated. Disappointed, for sure, but not sad or devastated. I've been dreaming about this school for years, but I was okay. Many of my friends cried, on the other hand, and had an extremely bad day when the rejections came along. And many of them decided, "OMG I FREAKING HATE THIS SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" As for me, when my rejection letter came, I just shrugged and said, "Oh well. Moving on." I think my attitude to my rejection had a lot to do with preparing myself mentally. I know that none of you want to get so hung up on a school that you become depressed if you get a rejection, so I'm going to give y'all tips on how to handle college rejection letters. ESPECIALLY from your dream school.

Know that the college admissions process is crazy subjective

Yeah. It's not all numbers and facts. The admissions officers also read essays, recommendations, and other stuff that cannot be measured in numbers. Some people will like you, some people will not. Fact of life. People naturally end up judging. And guess what? Admissions officers are people too. Judging through their own opinions about you is inevitable. A rejection is by no means a reflection of your SAT scores or grades at school.

Know that there is another school out there that you will be happy at

*enter dream school here* is NOT the only school in the entire world that you would be happy at. Yes, it's true. There are thousands of school in America alone and *enter dream school here* is definitely NOT the only one that can satisfy you. Honestly. When I started looking closely at the other schools I will be applying to, at least two of them have really caught my eye.

Research other colleges before your letter arrives

Instead of wasting your time daydreaming about your school or watching YouTube videos about your school (seriously bad idea. Do NOT even attempt this idiotic move. It's tempting, but just don't.), look at the other colleges in your list. Keep the school outta your mind.

Hopefully, my three tips will help you, y'know, not freak out so much if you get your rejection letter. IF, I SAID. IF! *ahem* Oh, right. And one last thing before you go...

Reward yourself

I don't care whether you got a rejection letter or not, freaking reward yourself after opening your letter. Celebrate your rejection! Yay! Having an attitude like this will seriously help. And no, I am not joking. Have a rejection party, go out to eat at your favorite restaurant, buy that coat you were meaning to buy for your acceptance gift. Whoop!


-Barista Mia-

Image: bluemoon197511

0 comments: