Why I'm Glad to Say Goodbye to Winter


I like to think that when it comes to most things, I am an optimist. Winter, however, is not one of them. Yeah, I enjoy building snowmen and sledging as much as the next person, but I despise winter when it comes down to the stark reality of the bitter cold season. I, for one, am glad winter is nearly over.

Firstly, I cannot deal with the cold anymore!!! Not only is it agonisingly cold when I’m confident enough to brave the outdoors, but for a few weeks in the dead of winter this year my central heating broke! I spent my study leave shivering in front of a little fan heater while trying teach myself inter tropical convergence zones and what not.

Secondly, I’m tired of all these layers of clothes! Sure, I love a cute jumper or scarf but there comes a point where you’re sick of being as padded as a snowman. I want to shed those extra layers. This winter I’ve worn:  Layers of jumpers, multiple cardigans, bobble hats, scarves, three pairs of socks and tights under my trousers. I guess it doesn’t sound so bad, but that was just for the indoors! I really don’t take to the cold well.

Thirdly, I can't stand the wet. I look forward to a good bit of snow in winter. I might be nearly 17 years old but those delicate white droplets floating to earth are enough to make me feel five years old again. However, how much snow have I seen this year? Not a drop. All I’ve had is rain, rain and more rain with maybe the occasional sleet or hailstone. Thankfully, I’m not in an area of Britain that has been flooded this winter, but the constant being rained on going home from school has dampened me both physically and emotionally. Not only that, but it has left me with a cold... again!

Boy, am I glad warmer weather is on the way.


-Barista Ellen-

Image: Thomas Frost Jensen

0 comments: