How To Follow Your Dream


If you’re like me, you have a huge amount of dreams; things you want to do, places you want to go, idea just waiting to become reality. But how do you do that? How do you stop dreaming of living and start living the dream? Well, first you have to know what it is that you want to do.

Finding Your Dream

If you have no idea what your dream is, it just means you haven’t found it yet. Take up new hobbies, meet new people, get out there more and try new things. When you find your dream, you will know it, because you’ll be unable to imagine yourself doing anything else with your life.

Prioritizing

But what if you’re like me, and have more than one dream? Can you become a concert pianist, an A-list movie producer and a well-known novelist? Sure, but probably not all at once! When you figure out what your dreams are, it’s important to pick what you need to focus on right now, the most important one. For me, it’s choosing between pursuing writing, acting in theatre, modeling, etc. I choose theatre, because when I watch Ryan and Sharpay sing “What I’ve Been Looking For” all I can see on that stage is wonder, and think “I would die to be doing that right now.” If you can live without it, it’s not your dream right now.

Starting Anywhere

Ok, so you have your dream. Now what? You start anywhere and everywhere you can. If something is going to further your dream, you do it, no matter what- well, as long as it’s safe and doesn’t go against your beliefs, etc. But don’t let unimportance stop you, or if something doesn’t seem a perfect fit. It’ll still keep you going and, you know, everyone has to start somewhere. I didn’t just walk onto a movie set and get cast as a star character. I found out I love theatre by being in a play that I had no lines in. Zip. Zero. All I did was the scene movements and- oh, I got to cough. XD But every day of that play, I was there, doing my makeup and donning my costume and loving every minute spent in the company of other actors. I’ve auditioned since then and am now in another play where I have four lines. Hey, not much, right? This isn’t going to make me a movie star or let me go on Broadway. But it is slowly letting me build my resume. And the best part? I kinda think I’m having just as much fun at a local college’s theatre as I would acting anywhere else. I’m already living my dream.

Never Listen to the Haters

You have to believe in yourself even if others don’t. Don’t let lack of opportunity, of fear of failure, or anything else that doesn’t matter get in the way of you doing what you want to with your life. It’s your dream so, in the wise words of that one pub thug from Disney’s Tangled:

Go on. Live your dream!


-Barista Nicole-

Image: Eddy Van 3000

0 comments: