How to Have a Great College Interview

 

I'm seriously not an expert at this, but I've had a couple interviews and now I'm pretty sure I know exactly what to do to prepare for my next interview, whenever that is.

First, my background story...

My first interview was the most horrible experience ever. It was for an internship (yes, it's not a college interview, but it's still an interview so it counts) and I was to meet my potential employer at the airport as he was leaving the country. So I head off early in the morning to meet him. I knew absolutely nothing at all about what to do and how to prepare for an interview. So what was the outcome of the interview? Well, it was the most awkward experience of my life. I explained very little about my background and about who I was. I didn't sell myself at all, but instead, dumbed myself down so that I would look humble. The worst part was when he asked me if I had any questions. I knew absolutely nothing about the company he was working for so I said no. The expression that crossed over his face? Is she for real? Yeah. Not such a good idea to go into an interview with no questions about anything whatsoever. Nuh uh. Needless to say, I didn't get the internship.

My second interview was actually held today. It was a phone interview with an alum at my dream college and I had to be extra prepared. Why? I have telephonophobia. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a form of social anxiety disorder where a person has an extreme fear of phone calls. Yeah. I reject every phone call that comes my way and if it's an important call that I have to pick up or make, it takes every inch of my courage to do it. My heart beats like crazy. Also, a second reason I had to be prepared is that I knew that awkward silences are worse over the phone. And I was going to do whatever I could to avoid those awkward silences. It turns out with all that crazy over-preparing, the interview went great! I talked so much my throat was all parched up and the interviewer seemed genuinely interested in me. My interviewer also said that I was a very interesting candidate. OMG.

I believe the reason my second interview went so well is that I had learned from my horrible first interview and I knew what I had to do differently. Well, now that I've learned my lesson, I'm going to prepare you guys for your upcoming interviews for college or internships so you don't end up making the same mistakes that I did in my first interview.

1. Prepare

I already said this in the bulky paragraphs above, but preparing is so very important. Over prepare if you can! Get common interview questions from the Internet and practice answering them over and over again. All that prep WILL reward you. I promise.

2. Have the right mindset

This interview will not be the end of your life. It doesn't determine your life path. Seriously. Have some peace in your mind before you take an interview. Go shopping, pat your pet, whatever. Feel good before your interview. Oh, and FYI, I went shopping right before my interviewer called so that I would be in a hyper, I-was-just-surrounded-by-clothes mood. Haha!

3. Have questions ready

This will make you seem impressive and make you look like you have an actual interest in whatever you're interviewing for. And that's a biiiiiiiig positive.

4. Sell yourself

But at the same time, don't look big-headed. Find the balance between the two and practice selling yourself while looking humble. After all, the reason you're having an interview is to get the job (internship) or get into a college.

5. Be yourself

This is very important. Especially for a college interview. Make sure you're not trying to be someone you're not because fake-ness comes through no matter how good of an actor you are. Besides, people want to talk to actual people, not robots who memorized their lines or wannabes who have no idea what they're talking about.

Well. Now that you have my tips... Good luck!


-Barista Mia-

Image: marco antonio torres

0 comments: