Hair Care Myths. Busted

Myth #1: Trimming your hair makes your hair grow faster



Nope, it really doesn't. The only thing it does is make your hair SEEM longer as you no longer have unhealthy tips. So getting a trim isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't make hair grow like people imagine it to. I feel a little guilty saying this as I have never had a trim for the past few years. I should go to the salon, but laziness forbids me to leave the house.

Myth #2: Your natural hair texture can't be changed



Wrong. I've actually experienced this myself. I was born with super, super straight hair. It was so straight my mom had to resort to getting my hair curled 'cause my hair would annoyingly stick to my face. But as I grew older, my hair started to turn curly and now, it's so curly and dry and ugh. I WANT MY OLD HAIR BACK!

Myth #3: Washing your hair more often is good



No, it's not. This is a horrible idea. Your scalp will be stripped off their natural oils. And those natural oils on your hair doesn't mean greasy, nasty hair. They mean healthy, strong, and shiny hair. Yay!

Myth #4: Shaving makes your hair grow darker, and thicker



Both my parents warned me about this myth when I bought my first razor. I got a little worried at first, but then I asked my best friend, the Internet, to double, triple, and quadruple check. And this myth? A total fake. Shaving just makes the re-growing hairs appear thicker and darker because of the blunt bit at the tip that you shaved off.

Myth #5: To keep healthy hair, brush your hair often



I believed this myth for a long, long time. Apparently, it's the exact opposite. Brushing your hair could actually hurt your hair. Brushing your hair once gently is good, but doing it again and again could lead to breakage and split ends. Ouch.

There! Now those are five hair myths busted. Do you know any others?


-Barista Mia-

Images:  Ed L, Sodanie Chea, Desi, worak, Klaus Post

0 comments: