Le Teen Café Review Corner: The Blessed Unrest


I’m not going to write about Take Me Home, or Little Mix’s new (uh, fairly new) album, although I do love these and they are great for rocking out to whilst eating chocolate with your friends. 1D are terrific, but they’re not, well, deep, are they? Do you really want to listen to them singing about having parties with girls whose daddies are dentists when you’re feeling down and out? It’s my opinion that we all get the miseries from time to time, even if some people are more, unfairly, lucky than others. If you ever want something new to listen to that’s still uplifting but not so in-your-face-we-have-everything-cheerful, look up Sara Bareilles' new album, “The Blessed Unrest” on YouTube. After one listen, I was in love. It’s a beautiful combination of creative ramblings like the ones normal people don’t actually do but that I think everyone should, and your classic love gumph; “Cos Ah caaaaaaaan’t have youuuuuuuuu.”



No, these songs really are inspiring. The single, “Brave” pretty much voices exactly what I need at the moment...



Then there’s the song “Satellite Call”, which reminds me of the night sky and the universe and a whole lot else.



Then there’s “I Wanna Be Like Me”, which I think a lot of us could find something worthwhile in. Lying in bed eating ice cream and thinking you wanna be like yourself is sure to cheer you up, as soon as you realise it’s true!

Overall, the album has a brisk but dreamy tone, as if Sara is talking in a stream of conciousness out of her brilliant creative mind (which, may I add, I know nothing of except what she shows in this album,  because I had hardly even heard of her before finding it.) Oh, and “Brave” has even been compared to Katy Perry’s “Roar”, yes! In actual fact there’s not much similarity except that the opening bars of music sound the same, and loosely, both the songs are about getting guts and bein’ brave. And magically turning into animals. Well, that’s just Katy. Sara, on the other hand, is perfectly happy with descriptions of gravestones and constellations and little black dresses.


-Barista Sabita-

Image: The Blessed Unrest

0 comments: