Book Charater Deaths I Never Got Over


Do not read if you haven't read Percy Jackson and the Titans Curse, Mockingjay or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I really don't want to be the one to spoil them for you.

Our favourite book characters sometimes die. It wouldn't be right if they all made it out alive. But thankfully, over time the sadness fades, an example of this is Dumbledore's death: we were all upset at first, but the fact that he was dead settled in our minds and we got over it. There are deaths, however, that you just don't ever get over and you still feel sad when you think about them.

***Spoiler Alert***

1) Bianca di Angelo

In the world of Percy Jackson, I guess Bianca was a fairly minor character but she still managed to become one of my favourites before she became the series's first fatality (not counting monsters or Gabe) thirteen chapters into the book she made her first appearance in. I, for one, spent the rest of the book believing she was still alive, which is one of the reasons that I, six books on, still haven't gotten over her death. I can't believe Rick Riordan killed such a young, innocent character.

2) Primrose Everdeen

Another young, innocent character whose death still haunts me. Throughout the Hunger Games series, I found similarities between the Everdeen sisters and my sister and I. I'm dark haired like Katniss while my sister's blonde and pale like Prim. We even have the same age gap. So when I was reading the books, in my head, Prim looked like my sister. Imagine watching your sister blown to smithereens. Not pretty; even inside your head. I am not embarrassed to say I cried for an hour after reading that Prim had died. I still haven't gotten over this death because I can't comprehend my sister dying at thirteen, particularly as she's twelve now.

3) Fred Weasley

Sorry guys. It's kinda my fault that Fred died. Back in 2007, my dad was reading the Deathly Hallows to me (if you're wondering why my dad was giving me bedtime stories when I was ten, you never heard his Hagrid voice) my then six-year-old sister overheard Dobby's death and I had to comfort her. I said "it's okay, at least we've still got Fred and George, they're great!"
And we all know what happened after that.
By the time Fred died, I was so used to characters dying I never shed a tear. But thinking back, he's the one death I never got over. I'll think about the wonderful world J.K Rowling gave us and I'll think of all the antics of the Weasley twins. Then I'll remember, that that ended. There are no Weasley twins anymore, there's only George. Oh god, I'm starting to cry now, why J.K? Why?


-Barista Ellen-

Image: Florin Gorgan

0 comments: