Why Gapping (Taking a Gap Year) Might Be a Good Thing


So I decided to not go to college this year, which pretty much sucks. I sooooo wanted to get away from Korea, but I guess I'll have to wait another year. Unfortunately, I can't afford to go to college, so I'm taking a gap year and will apply to a bunch of different schools next admissions round as I pray for a different result.

When I first came to the realization that I might have to take a gap year, I was extremely disappointed. I hated living in South Korea and I just couldn't wait until the day I could start ALL over. I even deactivated my current Facebook account so that I could make a new one in college. Yes, I was and still am that desperate to leave my current life behind. But the only option I have is to take a gap year. Thankfully, now that my head has cleared a little, I'm starting to see that gapping might be a good thing.

Because if you take a gap year...

You mature

Students who go straight from high school to college often lack the maturity needed in an independent environment like a university. Instead, those who take a gap year, learn so much about the world and acquire more wisdom during their time off.

You have a new story to share

You can share a story with your college friends a year or two later about your adventures of teaching ESL students, learning French in France, or going on a world expedition with a group of complete strangers. Whatever you do in your gap year, it's going to make for an interesting story to tell.

You learn more about yourself

When taking a gap year, you have the opportunity to do whatever you want with your life for an entire year. If you've never danced, you can dance. If you want to earn money, you can get a job. You'll find new interests, new hobbies, and you'll even learn more about your own personality and limits. This could help you so much when you finally enter college. You'll have a better idea of what you want to do or what you want to be.

You'll be more thankful for the opportunity to study

Research shows that students who take a gap year are more likely to not take their education for granted. Having this mindset, you're less likely to spend all your energy on partying and skipping classes and more energy on doing things that are actually productive. Of course, this doesn't mean you'll end up having no social life. What I mean is that you're more likely to have the wisdom to balance your social life with your academic life.

Besides these four benefits, there are so many more advantages to taking a gap year. So definitely consider it! It'll be fun and worthwhile :)


-Barista Mia-

Image: justine-reyes

0 comments: